Saturday, October 4, 2014

Review for The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


About the book (taken from the website):
Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is on the most dangerous quest of his life. With the help of a satyr and a daughter of Athena, Percy must journey across the United States to catch a thief who has stolen the original weapon of mass destruction – Zeus’ master bolt. Along the way, he must face a host of mythological enemies determined to stop him. Most of all, he must come to terms with a father he has never known, and an Oracle that has warned him of betrayal by a friend.

My Rating:
4/5 stars

My Opinion: 
Okay... Percy Jackson isn't really the sort of thing I'd usually read, honestly. My friend Beth let me borrow her copy, and she's told me lots of times before that she really enjoys them. I wasn't sure what to expect, what with terms like 'gods' and 'oracles', so... yeah, I was a bit nervous when starting it.

And then when I did, I was hooked.

It's fast paced, exciting, and adventurous. The antics of Percy and his friends cracked me up, sometime to the point where I had to get a drink of water to stop laughing. I also got a little teared up in places, perhaps, and not many books do that.

I'm still a bit rusty on terminology used in the Percy Jackson books, but it didn't mean I didn't enjoy it. The plot was good, and the characters were awesome (even if I did expect a few things to happen before they actually did). It was well thought out, and although the book was fairly long, it wasn't annoyingly long.

The only reason I didn't give it 5/5 is because their are a few mentions of drugs, and a fair amount of name calling (like Annabeth calls Percy 'Seaweed Brain'), as well as a few other small factors. All in all, though, it's a fantastic read that I thoroughly enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment