Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Dear Future Husband

Dear Future Husband,

 First of all, maybe you exist- maybe you don't. I'm okay either way, and I'm not really sure what God has planned, but I'm sure whatever it is, it's great. This letter is mostly here for you- and for me. I need to stay grounded, and I need you to know that I won't just settle for less than what we're both worth.

 1) You need to be a Christian. God is my savior, my first love, and forever my true love- I will love you, of course, but God will always come first, and I want to make sure you'd put God before me, too.

 2) You need to treat me as an equal. I know some couples don't talk to each other as equals, but talk down to each other. We are different, but we match- treat me as I am, not as less than, and I will do the same for you.

 3) I'm a dreamer and a realist at the same time. I will encourage you to shoot for your dreams, unless it's to ride a neon-green pegasus while eating corn dogs and wearing a sombrero. I'm sorry, but that's just not realistic. Anyways, I need you to encourage me. Anything is possible if you really put your mind to it, love.

 4) There are times I may act extremely mature and adult-like, and there are times where I act like I'm still a child. Please be okay with this. One day, I may want to actually do adult-y things, like do laundry and bake and such, and there are some days I may want to binge-watch Disney movies all day.

 5) Understand that I have a life outside of US. I have lots of friends. Maybe whenever we're together, they'll be different friends, but I have friends. You need time to breath, and I need time to breath, and sometimes it's nice to go hang out with someone other than your spouse.

 6) I make bad puns. Like, a lot, so you've been warned.

 7) If you're making me uncomfortable, I'll tell you. If you're doing something stupid, I'll be honest with you about it, and I expect you'll do the same for me.

 8) Love me for me. Don't try to change me- the way I look, my personality, anything. If you love a person, you will recognize if they are doing something stupid or hurting themselves/someone else, but if you truly love me and I truly love you, then we'll also love each other for us.

 9) I don't express emotion very well, and if they build up too much, I break down. I need you to realize that just because I don't say I don't love you all the time, it doesn't mean I don't love you.

 10)  I'm honestly not sure I want biological kids. I'm more than okay with adopting, but having a child of my own scares me, and I don't want you to pressure me into having kids, so please understand that.

 11) Dancing gives me life. Art renews me. Writing gives me joy. Music fills me with hope. The arts- performance or not- gives me something that I can't let anyone take away, and I need you to understand that.

 12) I get harebrained ideas all the time. Talk me out of it. I get an idea in my head, go all out for it, and then I get into burn-out mode very, very quickly.

 13) I want to travel. I can't stay at home all the time. I am passionate about exploring, experiencing different things, and enjoying life.

 14) My family means the world to me. No matter how far we live from them, I will visit them often. I love my mom and siblings to pieces, and my grandparents are all great, and I want to spend time with them always.

 15) This is my promise to you, future husband- I will not jump from boyfriend to boyfriend to boyfriend. I will wait until God tells me that you're him. I might fall for people, or like people, but I know that if you're out there, I'll meet you in due time.

Your Future Wife,
Hannah

1 comment:

  1. This was a great post! I wish I had your thoughtfulness at age 14.

    ReplyDelete