Friday, November 11, 2016

{regarding the past few days + years in America}

Hey Stars,

These past three days have really saddened me. These past few years have saddened me. Our world is so full of chaos; and America- a very prevalent place- is full of people acting like fools.
I've been praying and thinking about this, especially as the election here in the U.S. has gone on and finished. And I've cried multiple times over this. I try not to cry, I try not to show that out in public, but this country has drawn me to tears.

Why are we so against each other? It's a constant battle of Republicans and Democrats, conservative and liberal, who's rioting and who's not, etc, etc, etc. and it's so tiring. This country is tearing itself apart from the inside out.
We've become so hateful towards our own brothers and sisters, whether it be over politics, other social issues, or just life. If we took a step back and thought for awhile about what we're doing, we might come to the realization that we're all more alike than we want to think.

We're all human, we all make mistakes, we all screw things up sometimes. I, for one, know I screw things up a lot. But I don't start rioting and protesting over ridiculous things. I don't want to say politics don't matter, because they do, but once they start becoming an idol that we're too focused on to love and ground one another, we've peaked on an issue.
Not bringing my own views into this, I've seen Trump supporters completely tearing down Clinton supporters, Clinton supporters trashing Trump supporters, and people yelling and fighting, and apparently there's violent rioting and protesting going on (I've been trying to avoid the news as much as possible here recently so I don't claim to know exactly what's going on).

I have lots of young, little friends (think 11 or so and below) and two siblings (12 and 10 years old respectively). I don't want them growing up in a country, in a world, that has lost it's will to listen, love, and discuss in a calm manner, agreeing to disagree and knowing when to stand up and when to sit down.
These kids are giving and have given me so much; kids haven't yet learned how to hate and fight with such passion. When have we, as teens and adults, lost our love? Lost our kindness, our peace?

I'll be able to vote come the next election in four years. I'll be 18, which is exactly the age you can begin to vote. And honestly? I'm dreading it, especially if that election is going to be anything like this one. Which is so, so, so sad because I love this country. I love the people in it. I love our freedoms; our freedom of religion and speech, especially. We take these things for granted. But I'm not sure I'm going to want to vote and be involved in all of these hurt, hate, and anger that's ruining relationships.

We've done this to ourselves, America.
We need a change.
Our government needs a change.
But we can't change this country, this country's government, and the way other people view this country, until we've began to change ourselves inside of it.

I can make a difference.
You can make a difference.
We can make a difference, but we have to work together. And right now, fellow Americans, we are not doing that. We are hurting each other, we are killing each other, we are tearing our families apart over our ridiculous, petty arguments.

We've lost our line of, "land of the free, home of the brave," because we're treading all over each other. I'm not even sure if I can take our songs and oaths and phrases seriously anymore. What are we doing to ourselves?

So, please, I'm begging you; calm down and start loving each other. Life is a two way street and we're going opposite ways, but at some point you're going to meet in the middle of the road, at least briefly. Life is not meant to be spent alone, but that's what we're doing; causing ourselves so much pain and heartache over ridiculous things so that no one wants to be with each other.

This is not a message of hopelessness, of anger, of upset and sadness- no. This is a message of hope! of strength! This is a declaration of love. I hope you'll stand with me. I refuse to let politics, social issues, and hate drive a wedge between myself and the people I love. I refuse to let this ruin our country any further.
It is time for a change.

-Hannah Song

No comments:

Post a Comment