Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Review: Beauty and the Beast (2017)



Hello, Stars!

 Today I'm posting a review of the new live-action remake of Beauty and the Beast. I went this past Saturday and it was... wow.
 I've broken this review down into sections so that way I can give you my thoughts without too many spoilers. And please remember this is coming from a teenage Christian girl's standpoint, so anything you get annoyed with, feel free to politely comment but these are my views and I'm not changing them.
 Anyways, let's begin!

Casting
9.5/10
 All of the cast did amazing- Emma Watson played a fantastic Belle, and the casting for the other characters, like Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts, etc., was FABULOUS. I have to admit, I was not sold on Dan Stevens as the Beast or Luke Evans as Gaston at first, but they definitely did a good job, and Josh Gad did great as LeFou. The casting was also very racially diverse, for being a Disney movie.
 I did take off 1/2 of a point because there was just something that felt off, but in all honesty, I can't quite explain it.

Costuming and Set Design
10/10

 The costumes were gorgeous! I pay a lot of attention to the outfits characters wear in television shows and movies, and I can't think of a single complaint, other than Belle's yellow gown is fairly different than the animated version, but absolutely gorgeous nonetheless.
 I'm always impressed in big scenes with the amount of effort put into costumes and you could tell they wasted no expense on the amazing outfits in this movie. I was seriously impressed.
 Set wise, can I just say... WOW! It was gorgeous. The village was fascinating, and the Beast's castle was amazing. I seriously have no remarks or complaints. It was simply fantastic.

Soundtrack
8/10
 The soundtrack was amazing. They added some songs that weren't in the 1991 animated version of Beauty and the Beast, but it added to the magic and just gave a touch to the movie that made me love it even more.
 I did take away a few points, however, because (and before anyone gets upset, I KNOW I couldn't have done any better, so don't make that argument) you could really clearly tell how much auto tune they used for Emma's singing voice. It was still beautiful, though, and it was still a delight to listen to.

Story line / Plot
10/10
 The story line was perfect. It stayed true to the original Disney version of the story and added some parts that flowed through the story nicely and gave more depth to a ton of characters and just the overall plot in general; but I won't go into detail... I don't want to spoil it for you!
Other Notes
n/a
 I know a lot of people are boycotting this movie but there is nothing overly objectionable in it. In all honesty, I think you'd see worse things by watching The Little Mermaid or something because the Mermaids wear bras and the mermen are shirtless. If you are worried about your kids, coming from someone who comes from a pretty cautious family and tries to avoid anything bad myself, I had no problems simply being a person or being a Christian and going to see this movie.
Overall
9.5/10
 This movie was amazing and I highly recommend it. It's breathtakingly beautiful and just a really enjoyable movie in general. I can't stress how amazing everything was put together, and my family plans on going to see it again; I suggest you do too.
Love you all,
Hannah Song

No comments:

Post a Comment